During the winter months, diabetics may find they have higher HBA1c levels than during the warmer months. Here are some helpful tips for controlling glucose levels and maintaining your health during the winter months.
- Check your blood sugars regularly.
- Keep your physical activity up.
- Keep a good eye on your diet; we tend to eat more during the winter months.
- Keep illness at bay; becoming ill makes diabetes harder to control.
- Monitor your body temperature and stay warm.
- Eat healthily.
- Wear appropriate clothing.
- Do not stay outside for long periods of time; diabetes can cause loss of feeling in your toes and feet.
- Apply moisturizer to your feet and inspect them regularly. If you notice an injury that doesn't heal, seek medical attention.
This is the first installment of our monthly healthy tips post. If there are any health-related topics you would like to see in the monthly newsletter, please e-mail me at the address below.
Health and Wellness Director